Field Trip permission slips are due next week! We will be visiting Mission San Antonio de Pala on Thursday, March 7th. We will leave at 8:30am and return by 1:30pm. Students must bring a disposable lunch that day and wear their regular school uniform. The cost for the field trip is $2. Your FACTS account will be charged. If you are interested in driving and chaperoning, please complete the safe environment training, defensive driving, and fill out the driver form attached to the permission slip. All forms are due back to me by Thursday, February 28th.
Religion: Chapter 19 The Eighth Commandment
In Chapter 18, the students learned that the Seventh Commandment calls us to respect others, their property, and the world God created. In this chapter, the students will learn that the Eighth Commandment teaches the importance of learning and living the truth that comes from God.
Language Arts: The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Vocabulary: passion, fretful, appalling, bungalow, implore, desolation, affectionate, contrary, intention, frocks, discomfit, apparent
Spelling homework and words for The Secret Garden Week 1 can be accessed here.
Math Groups A and B: Module 5 Fraction Equivalence, Ordering, and Operations
Topic B: Fraction Equivalence Using Multiplication and Division
- Decompose fractions using area models to show equivalence.
- Use the area model and multiplication to show the equivalence of two fractions.
Math Group C: Module 5 Fraction Equivalence, Ordering, and Operations
Topic C: Fraction Comparison
- Reason using benchmarks to compare two fractions on the number line.
- Find common units or number of units to compare two fractions.
We will continue with multiplication and division timed tests. Please practice your math facts at home every night. Click here for a great practice sheet! To see the testing order, please refer to the recording chart in your child’s planner.
The 4th Grade Mission Project has three parts:
- Research paper (completed in class)
- Rough draft, due 3/1
- Final typed report, due 3/8
- Project (completed at home)
- Project, due 3/15
- Presentation (practiced at home, presented in class)
- Week of 3/18
Please review the packet with your child and let me know if you have any questions. All due dates are included in the packet.
Junipero Serra and the Mission Era: Impact on California Indians
- Explain how no matter how amazingly skilled the Native Peoples became, they were never given the same respect as the Spanish artisans in the mission community
- Explain how Native Peoples struggled during the Mission Era to preserve their cultures, languages, and traditions
- Explain how the missionaries forever changed the lives of the California Native Peoples.
Some changes were positive. Some were negative.
- Explain why Pope Francis acknowledged that “grave sins were committed against the Native Peoples of America in the name of God.”
We are participating in the City of Escondido’s 27th Annual Earth Day Poster Contest. Posters are due on March 1st. Please click here for more details.
2/25 Monday: Bring your Secret Garden book!
2/26 Tuesday: P.E.
2/27 Wednesday: 8am Mass (formal uniform required)
2/28 Thursday: Field Trip Permission Slips due
3/1 Friday: Earth Day Posters due, Religion Ch. 19 Test, P.E., 12noon Dismissal
If you would like to donate to our classroom, please visit our 4th Grade Wish List.