Religion: Chapter 20
In this chapter, the students will learn that Lent is the season of preparation for Easter.
Language Arts: The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
This week we will begin week 2 of our novel study. Students will:
- examine the story elements associated with fiction texts.
- use details provided by the author to visualize the setting and create a map.
- develop a prediction about future events based on reading and support prediction with text evidence.
Click here for Week 2 Vocabulary.
Spelling homework and words for The Secret Garden Week 2 can be accessed here.
Math Groups A and B: Module 5 Fraction Equivalence, Ordering, and Operations
Topic C: Fraction Comparison
- Reason using benchmarks to compare two fractions on the number line.
- Find common units or number of units to compare two fractions.
Math Group C: Module 5 Fraction Equivalence, Ordering, and Operations
Topic D: Fraction Addition and Subtraction
- Use visual models to add and subtract two fractions with the same units, including subtracting from one whole.
We will continue with multiplication and division timed tests. Please practice your math facts at home every night. Click here for a great practice sheet! To see the testing order, please refer to the recording chart in your child’s planner.
The 4th Grade Mission Project has three parts:
- Research paper (completed in class)
- Final typed report, due 3/8
- Project (completed at home)
- Project, due 3/15
- Presentation (practiced at home, presented in class)
- Week of 3/18
Please review the packet with your child and let me know if you have any questions. All due dates are included in the packet.
Junipero Serra and the Mission Era: Secularization of the Missions
- Explain what happened to Missions after Mexico won its independence from Spain.
- Describe Ranchos and explain the role Native Indians played here.
- Compare and Contrast Rancho life to life today.
- Explain that there were many injustices of the Mission Era.
- Explain how there are people trying to help right the injustices done to native peoples today.
Science: Energy Transfer and Electric Currents
- Make observations to provide evidence that energy can be transferred from place to place by sound, light, heat, and electric currents.
- Apply scientific ideas to design, test, and refine a device that converts energy from one form to another.
3/5 Tuesday: P.E.
3/6 Wednesday: 8am Mass (formal uniform required)
3/7 Thursday: Mission Field Trip (Wear school uniform and bring disposable lunch)
3/8 Friday: Secret Garden Week 2 Spelling and Comprehension Test, P.E.
If you would like to donate to our classroom, please visit our 4th Grade Wish List.