This Wednesday, 3/13/19, is a half day with dismissal at 12 PM.
A Few Uniform Reminders:
- Socks must be plain white, black, or navy. They may not have patterns or logos on them.
- Due to the cold weather we have been having, if you choose to put a long sleeve shirt under the uniform shirt it must be plain white (no print or other colors are permitted).
Thank you to the parent volunteers that sit with our class at Mass on Wednesday mornings. I appreciate the help. Please remember that you are there to help the children maintain appropriate Mass behavior and that all the children need to be treated equally. We need to assure this for fairness to all the students that don’t have parents present. It is not always possible for you to sit near your child as it is necessary for me to spread the parent volunteers out as necessary. The children are not instructed to hold hands during the Our Father prayer. When I get up to help with the gifts and to receive Holy Communion, please help keep the students quiet and facing the altar.
“Book Bags” will be sent home every Monday and returned every Friday. In the “Book Bags” will be some small readers that your child should read to you. These books should be practiced many times throughout the week, before they are returned on Friday. This will count as time for their reading log each night. There will also be a key ring with sight word flash cards attached in the “Book Bags.” These should be practiced nightly as well. I will add words to the rings as necessary. We will be testing on sight words every other week.
Please have the students read a sheet of the sight word sentence homework nightly. They may color in 1 star after reading the page in entirety. They need to write 1-2 sentences on the lined writing paper each night using their sight word sentences and inventive spelling.
We continue practicing reading sentences with the use of pictures and our high frequency words. This week the sight words we have been practicing are of and they . They brought two small books home with these sight words in them. It would be helpful to keep the small books each week and have them practice as review of all the words we have learned. It is great practice for them.
Please continue to read at least 15 minutes every night with your child and fill out the reading log. Please keep the reading log in their home folder on the “return to school” side. I will be checking for completion each morning, and stamping the log to track whether or not the assignment was done each night. This way, I can assign an accurate grade for the reading log. I will collect the reading logs each week on Friday. A new log will be sent home every Monday.
Monday: Abigail, Andrew, Christian, Elise
Tuesday: Matthew, John C., Kyle, Liam
Wednesday: Moises, Agnes, Anthony, Cassy
Thursday: Dayvin, Emmett, Frank, Jayln, John M.
Friday: Lia, Lorenzo, Mia and Zach
*Reminder that the Super Star Student of the week can bring something to share each day of the week.
**I will have a bin outside the classroom for the share items in the morning. Please only have your child bring an item to share on their scheduled day (except when student is Super Star Student). If they forget, they are not to bring something the next day, but instead they will wait until their next scheduled share day. Thank you for your help with this. The children may share books, gifts, and stories. Weapons and other such items may not be brought to school. Likewise, fragile items should not be sent to school.
Super Star Student- I will go in alphabetical order by first name. The student that is Super Star Student for the week will bring in a small photo album with 10-15 pages. You may wish to include pictures and a description of your child’s likes/dislikes, favorite vacations, special events, thing he/she enjoys doing, etc. We will read from this book every day that your child is Super Star. Being Super Star also means being line leader, prayer leader, and calendar leader. The Super Star may share every day during his/her week, not just on his or her assigned share day.
Super Star Students for March:
March 11th-15th: Moises
March 18th-22nd: Zachary
March 25th-29th: Matthew
What we will be covering this week:
- Religion: Lent
- Math: Adding and Subtracting Numbers (Garfield Math), Compare Using More than, fewer than and same as
- Reading: Bear Snores On, A Vet in a Van, Anansi: An African Tale, Animal Homes
- Language Arts: Essential Question- Where do animals live?
- Grammar: Blend Words with short vowels i, e, a, and o with f, x, m, v, n and b, Action Words (verbs), Adding -ed to show action in the past
- Phonics: Letter: Xx and Vv, High Frequency Words: said, want, they, of, for ,she, was, little, with, he ,are, my, to, do, you, is, go, and, like, you, a, we, the, I, can, see, at, am
- Social Studies: National Symbols
- Science: Types of Weather and The Most Magnificent Thing/Engineering Fair
Dates and Reminder:
- Wednesday, 3/13: Half Day: Dismissal at 12 PM
- Thursday, 3/14: Team Day-Students may wear blue jeans and St. Mary team shirt
- Friday, 3/15: Stations of the Cross 2 PM
- Thursday, 3/21: Half Day: Dismissal at 12 PM
- Friday, 3/29: No School
- Friday, 4/5: Half Day: Dismissal at 12 PM