Happy New Year! I hope you all had a blessed Christmas. I am looking forward to seeing the children back on Tuesday, January 8th! Please read below for some important information about this upcoming week.
Religion: Chapter 12 Strengthened by the Eucharist
In Chapter 11, the students learned about the Third Commandment. In this chapter, they will focus on the Eucharist and will learn that receiving the Body and Blood of Christ nurtures and strengthens them to be active followers of Christ.
Language Arts: Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell Novel Study
Every fourth grader must have a copy of this book by Tuesday, January 8th, 2019. You can purchase the book on amazon here, or a bookseller of your choice. You can also check it out from the local library, however, we will need it in class every day during the month of January. If you have any questions, please let me know.
This week we will begin the novel. Students will:
- examine the story elements associated with fiction texts.
- use details provided by the author to visualize the setting and create a map.
- develop a prediction about future events based on reading and support prediction with text evidence.
Vocabulary Words: harbor, sparingly, carcass, perish, forlorn
Math: Module 3 Multi-Digit Multiplication and Division Assessment
We will continue with multiplication timed tests. Please practice your math facts at home every night. Click here for a great practice sheet! To see the testing order, please refer to the recording chart in your child’s planner.
Topic G: Division of Thousands, Hundreds, Tens, and Ones
- Divide multiples of 10, 100, and 1,000 by single-digit numbers.
- Represent and solve division problems with up to a three-digit dividend numerically and with place value disks requiring decomposing a remainder in the hundreds place.
- Represent and solve three-digit dividend division with divisors of 2, 3, 4, and 5 numerically.
- Represent numerically four-digit dividend division with divisors of 2, 3, 4, and 5, decomposing a remainder up to three times.
- Solve division problems with a zero in the dividend or with a zero in the quotient.
- Interpret division word problems as either number of groups unknown or group size unknown.
- Interpret and find whole number quotients and remainders to solve one-step division word problems with larger divisors of 6, 7, 8, and 9.
- Explain the connection of the area model of division to the long division algorithm for three- and four-digit dividends.
Pilot Module 2 Saint Junípero Serra and the Mission Era
The Outside World Discovers California
- understand the opening of California by explorers.
- define what it means to be an explorer as well as describing important qualities of successful explorers.
- explain the concept of exploring for Gold, Glory, and God.
- meet early explorers of California.
- describe meetings between early explorers and Native Indians.
- understand how to communicate when meeting others especially when they are from a different culture.
Science: Renewable and Nonrenewable Resources
- Obtain and combine information to describe that energy and fuels are derived from natural resources and their uses affect the environment.
1/8 Tuesday: School Resumes, P.E.
1/9 Wednesday: 8am Mass (formal uniform required), 12noon Dismissal
1/11 Friday: Religion Ch. 12 Test, P.E.