Religion: Unit 2 Review (Chapter 8-12)
Students will review the following:
- showing love for God and others by following the Ten Commandments and the Great Commandment.
- believing in the one true God, and loving him more than anything.
- respecting God’s name, and honoring sacred places.
- keeping the Lord’s Day holy by participating in Mass, relaxing, and caring for others’ needs.
- learning the ways to participate more fully at Mass, and to live as Jesus’ disciples when we are sent forth from Mass.
Language Arts: Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell Novel Study
This week we will continue with week 1 of our novel study. Students will:
- examine the story elements associated with fiction texts.
- use details provided by the author to visualize the setting and create a map.
- develop a prediction about future events based on reading and support prediction with text evidence.
Vocabulary Words: harbor, sparingly, carcass, perish, forlorn
Math: Module 3 Multi-Digit Multiplication and Division
We will continue with multiplication timed tests. Please practice your math facts at home every night. Click here for a great practice sheet! To see the testing order, please refer to the recording chart in your child’s planner.
Topic G: Division of Thousands, Hundreds, Tens, and Ones
- Represent numerically four-digit dividend division with divisors of 2, 3, 4, and 5, decomposing a remainder up to three times.
- Solve division problems with a zero in the dividend or with a zero in the quotient.
- Interpret division word problems as either number of groups unknown or group size unknown.
- Interpret and find whole number quotients and remainders to solve one-step division word problems with larger divisors of 6, 7, 8, and 9.
- Explain the connection of the area model of division to the long division algorithm for three- and four-digit dividends.
Pilot Module 2 Saint Junípero Serra and the Mission Era
Junipero Serra: “Heart on Fire”
- Describe the missionary zeal of Father Junipero Serra
- Know the timeline of Father Serra’ Life
- Explain why Father Serra built the first Missions
- Describe the skills of an effective Missionary
- Explain why Father Serra was canonized a saint
Science: Renewable and Nonrenewable Resources
- Obtain and combine information to describe that energy and fuels are derived from natural resources and their uses affect the environment.
1/15 Tuesday: P.E.
1/16 Wednesday: 8am Mass (formal uniform required)
1/17 Thursday: Religion Unit 2 Open Book Test
1/18 Friday: Spelling Week 1 Test, Island of the Blue Dolphins Week 1 Quiz, P.E.