We had a great first week back from Easter break and had fun dressing up each day for Spirit Week! Here we are on Crazy Hair Day!
This Wednesday is a half day with dismissal at 12:00 PM. The teachers will be attending professional development in the afternoon.
Kindergarten Promotion Information:
We will be having our end of the year Promotion Celebration on Thursday, June 6th at 9:30 AM. Please send your child to school dressed in their Sunday best at our regular start time, 8:00 AM. After the Promotion Celebration the students are dismissed and do not have school the next day. June 6th is Kindergarten’s last day of school.
Before Easter break a letter was sent home by our room parents regarding donations for our Annual Gala. This is our biggest fundraiser. Our class is responsible for a tablescape and the theme is USA! Please help make this fundraiser a success and send in your donations in the envelopes provided by our room parents.
It is a fun fundraising event and I hope to see all of you there.
Shoe Tying Party:
Please continue to practice and help your child successfully tie the template and their own shoes! We will be having a shoe tying party this Friday, May 10th! All the students that can tie their shoes by this date will earn a special treat at our shoe tying party!
Thank you to the parent volunteers that sit with our class at Mass on Wednesday mornings. I appreciate the help. Please remember that you are there to help the children maintain appropriate Mass behavior and that all the children need to be treated equally. We need to assure this for fairness to all the students that don’t have parents present. It is not always possible for you to sit near your child as it is necessary for me to spread the parent volunteers out as necessary. The children are not instructed to hold hands during the Our Father prayer. When I get up to help with the gifts and to receive Holy Communion, please help keep the students quiet and facing the altar.
Please continue to send back the “Book Bags” every Friday. I will send new books home every Monday if they are returned. Please continue to have your child read to you. These books should be practiced many times throughout the week, before they are returned on Friday. This will count as time for their reading log each night. There will also be a key ring with sight word flash cards attached in the “Book Bags.” These should be practiced nightly as well. I will add words to the rings as necessary.
Please have the students read a sheet of the sight word sentence homework nightly. They may color in 1 star after reading the page in entirety. Please have your child write at least 1-2 sentences on the lined writing paper each night using their sight word sentences and inventive spelling. They may rewrite one of the sentences provided or create their own new sentence. This is a part of their homework, this is not optional. They must write a minimum of 4 sentences for the week.
We continue practicing reading sentences with the use of pictures and our high frequency words. This week the sight words we are practicing are good and who. It would be helpful to keep the small books that come home each week and have them practice as review of all the words we have learned. It is great practice for them.
Please continue to read at least 15 minutes every night with your child and fill out the reading log. Please keep the reading log in their home folder on the “return to school” side. I will be checking for completion each morning, and stamping the log to track whether or not the assignment was done each night. This way, I can assign an accurate grade for the reading log. I will collect the reading logs each week on Friday. A new log will be sent home every Monday.
Monday: Abigail, Andrew, Christian, Elise
Tuesday: Matthew, John C., Kyle, Liam
Wednesday: Moises, Agnes, Anthony, Cassy
Thursday: Dayvin, Emmett, Frank, Jayln, John M.
Friday: Lia, Lorenzo, Mia and Zach
**I will have a bin outside the classroom for the share items in the morning. Please only have your child bring an item to share on their scheduled day. If they forget, they do not bring something the next day, but instead they will wait until their next scheduled share day. Thank you for your help with this. The children may share books, gifts, and stories. Weapons and other such items may not be brought to school. Likewise, fragile items should not be sent to school.
All of our students have had the chance to be our Super Star Student! Thank you for putting their books together to share with the class. I am picking a random daily Super Star Student each day in the morning who will be the line leader, prayer leader and calendar helper for the day.
What we will be covering this week:
- Religion: We Care About Others as Jesus Did
- Math: Adding and Subtracting Numbers (Garfield Math), Composition and Decomposition of Numbers (Number Bonds) and Number Sentences
- Reading: What’s the Big Idea, Molly?, A Good Time for Luke, The Elves and the Shoemakers, The Variety Show, Animal Band, We Want Honey
- Language Arts: Essential Question- What can happen when we work together?
- Grammar: Blend Words with long u with h, p and m, Pronouns, Question Words (who,what,where,when,why and how)
- Phonics: Long Vowel Sound Uu High Frequency Words: good, who, where, look ,play, has, help, too, this, what, here, me, said, want, they, of, for ,she, was, little, with, he ,are, my, to, do, you, is, go, and, like, you, a, we, the, I, can, see, at, am
- Social Studies: California Symbols
- Science: Finishing Pushes and Pulls
Dates and Reminder:
- Wednesday, 5/8: Half Day: Dismissal at 12:00 PM
- Thursday, 5/9: May Crowning at 7:15 PM- Mandatory for students in grades 1-8
- Saturday, 5/11: Gala at 5:00 PM
- Friday, 5/17: Rosary at 2:15 PM
- Friday, 5/24: Rosary at 2:15 PM
- Monday, 5/27: No School: Memorial Day
- Thursday, 5/30: Team Day: Students may wear jeans and their St. Mary Spirit Shirt
- Friday, 5/31: Rosary at 2:15 PM
- Tuesday, 6/4: Fly-up Day
- Wednesday, 6/5: Half Day: Dismissal at 12:00 PM
- Thursday, 6/6: Kindergarten Promotion Celebration 9:30 AM (Dismissed after Promotion Celebration)
- Thursday, 6/6: Last Day of School for Kindergarten/Half Day for Grades 1-8 Dismissal at 12 PM
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me at .